Friday, May 4, 2012

Homemade Detergent

In my previous post that had recipes for homemade cleaning supplies I posted a recipe for a liquid laundry detergent. We used it, and we didn't like it. After a friend posted a recipe for a dry detergent, I knew I had to try it! It's awesome, cheap, and it smells SO GOOD! I love it! Plus, the original recipe makes a HUGE batch that lasts forever!

I decided to make a new batch today & Layla wanted to help me out.
I ended up making a smaller batch to fit my containers. I didn't feel like going out to buy a new container, since I didn't have one that would fit a whole batch.

Here is the recipe as Sandra posted:

4 lb 12 oz box of Borax
4 lb box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
3 lb 7 oz box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
3 bars of Fels-Naptha soap (or Zote)
3 lb container of Oxy Clean, or two of the smaller ones, to make about 3lbs
1 container Purex Crystals



Start out by grating your soap with a cheese grater. 


Combine all the ingredients in a 5 gallon container. 

Store and use however you like.  Use 1 to 2 tablespoons per load.


I switched it up a bit, by just not putting as much in. If you have a smaller container, just use one bar of soap. Then use just 1-2 cups of each of the other ingredients.

I just started pouring the ingredients in & eyeballing it. It turned out fine.
Layla had a lot of fun making this with me!


*Sandra mentioned on her blog that if you have a front loading washer it needs to be added to the barrel and not the dispenser.

No comments:

Post a Comment