Sunday, July 31, 2011

What To Do With Your Vintage Hanky Collection?

If you're anything like me then you're awesome, and you have a vintage handkerchief collection! I don't know about you, but up until now I've been stumped on how to display the beautiful pieces I've found. Tonight I found a cute way to display them! It was simple & it only took me about an hour.

You see, we're moving in a couple months & to get ready for our big move we've been really cleaning out our shelves & closets so we won't have as much to pack overseas. In my closet I had a few really nice floating frames holding the last portraits I took of Layla. I don't have them hanging up because the last portraits I've had taken of her were over 3 years ago when she was 2 months old! So they were a little outdated to hang on the wall.

Now I didn't want to just throw out those frames, so I had them in the back of my mind all weekend trying to think of ways to use them without getting more portraits taken (one session is EXPENSIVE!) then it hit me: DISPLAY MY BEAUTIFUL HANDKERCHIEFS IN THEM!!!


RIGHT?! RIGHT?!! This was one of the two larger frames. I was able to fit two of the large, scalloped handkerchiefs in it. I love the scalloped style, and I love the flowery pattern.



These are 3 of my all time favorites and I have them hanging in my bedroom now.  My favorite color pallet includes an eye-pleasing teal with hints of pink or red in the mix. The top right one was a gift from my friend, Melissa & is the hanky that started my collection.


This is one of the two smaller frames containing my two smallest handkerchiefs. I just love the colorful little rooster, and the scalloped, Niagara Falls Canada one is probably the nicest one I own.


A close up of the Niagara Falls Canada hanky. It's it ADORABLE?!


These are two others I thought were worthy of display, and they fit easily into the other smaller frame. I  love the hand embroidered flowers, and they're old, but the embroidery has kept really well.

All but the one in my bedroom are now in my work room/guest room. So I can enjoy them while I'm in my creative element or when I inflate the air mattress & friends or relatives come into town and they can enjoy them as well!!

I've been working on another way to display my handkerchiefs for a while now, but it's proving to be more time consuming than I expected. In a flea market magazine I saw some bunting made of vintage doilies, and I thought to myself "I could do that with my hankies!!" Since I don't have a sewing machine I have to sew them by hand (gasp!) & I just don't have the time to sit and sew all the time (sad face!)


Currently I'm keeping all the handkerchiefs I'm using for this project in one of my vintage suitcases. I can't wait to get this completed so I can hang them over the big window in my living room. I'll be sure to post a pictures as soon as I'm done with it!
& yes, that is my awesome mustache pillow in the background!

cheers,
Jenna

No comments:

Post a Comment